There are several benefits to tea but the spices used in Masala Chai elevate the healthful properties in this everyday beverage.
The ancient medicinal ingredient in chai is 'sattvic', which acts as a revitalizing agent that helps to sooth the mind & soul. There are also several other ingredients in this classic tea that not only add warmth but also serve as remedies to cure indigestion and breathing & blood circulation issues. During flu season, many of the antimicrobial qualities are often used to fight against a sore throat & cough.
(source: Kyla Matton, Yahoo! Contributor Network)
Check out this simple recipe for a delicious masala chai!
Total Time: 15 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
4 whole cloves
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons black tea
1. In a mortar, crush the cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon, or use a coffee grinder.
2. Transfer the crushed spices to a small saucepan, add the water, ginger and pepper and bring to a boil.
3. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
4. Add the milk and sugar to the pan and bring to a boil.
5. Remove from the heat and add the tea.
6. Cover and let steep for 3 minutes.
7. Stir the chai, then strain it into a warmed teapot or directly into teacups.