Since CIF's inception in 2007, Canada India Foundation has taken a leadership role in fostering support for stronger bilateral relations between Canada and India, greater engagement of the Indo-Canadian community in Canadian politics and public policy and increasing awareness of the changing face of India.
1. CIF works to foster support for stronger bi-lateral relations between Canada and India. Through active participation in the public policy debate and active engagement with Parliamentarians, CIF positions the need for a strategic partnership between Canada and India as critical to Canada's future
2. CIF works towards raising the profile of Indo-Canadian community by facilitating:
* Participation by qualified members of the community in the policy-making and the legislative process,
* Engagement with legislators at the federal and provincial levels in the spheres of immigration professional accreditation and national security
* The increased representation of the community within crown agencies, government boards and judicial and quasi-judicial tribunals
3. CIF takes an active role in increasing the awareness of Canadians about the changing face of India, and the promotion of Canada's interest in India.
CIF's Goals, Initiatives and Accomplishments
– Actively worked to convince Canadian government to open more trade offices in India, including the one in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
– Organizing an annual thematic conference, bringing together government, public and private sector leaders, and industry analysts such as the Canada India Energy Forum 2009, Canada India Mining and Metals Forum 2010, and Canada India Agriculture and Food Processing Forum 2012 scheduled for September 10-13 in Vancouver/Saskatoon
– Hosting a high profile Gala every year
, not a regular Gala, but one with a purpose, to celebrate the achievements of the Indian disapora in the world stage. Chief Guests and Guests of Honour have included former President of India, Dr. Abdul Kalam, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, India’s Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission, Dr. Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Canada’s Leader of the Opposition, Mr. Michael Ignatieff and India’s Member of Parliament and well-known writer, Mr. Shashi Tharoor
– Established Chanchlani Global Indian Award, the first such award in the Indian Diaspora, honouring a person, who has made all people of Indian origin extremely proud of our heritage. The first 3 recipients were Sam Pitroda (2008), Tulsi Tanti (2009) and Ratan Tata (2010).
– Signed agreement with University of Waterloo to set up Chanchlani India Policy Centre, for public policy development in the Canada India corridor. CIF Members have contributed generously to other Universities.
– Working to ensure Indo-Canadians are nominated/elected to leadership positions in Canada
The Success of CIF Members
– ALL Members of Canada India Foundation were invited to the special dinner event hosted by Prime Minister Harper for India’s Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, in June 2010
– CIF was asked to present before the Standing Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs & International Trade with respect to rise of India and implications for Canada’s global policy
– 3 CIF Members accompanied Mr. Stephen Harper during his trip to India
– 3 CIF members were named in the list of Top 25 Immigrants 2010 by Canadian Immigrant magazine
– 3 CIF Members were named as winners of the South Asian Person of the Year, South Asian Philanthropist of the Year and South Asian Businessman of the Year respectively by MidWeek Publications
– CIF Members have been recipients of several other awards and honours
– CIF Members have been co-chairs of major charity fundraisers, as well as those for political candidates
– CIF Member Dr. Asha Seth was recently appointed to Canada’s Senate