Been thinking about “getting your work online” for a while, but aren’t quite sure about the best way to do it? Work in traditional media and craft practices and want to extend your reach to a broader range of communities, peers and audiences? Fully immersed in new media but don’t know how to take advantage of digital opportunities?
SAVAC (South Asian Visual Arts Centre) is excited to partner with Bento Miso, an inclusive, collaborative workspace in the heart of Queen West.
This hands-on workshop will demonstrate how to use different publishing tools to feature your artwork online and engage new audiences in the process.
You’ll come away with a solid understanding of how domains, hosts, platforms and content work together to form the basis of your online presence—and how to use them to best represent you.
The workshop will be facilitated by Jennie and Henry Faber, Bento Miso founders with extensive experience in business and Web development, as well as bringing together communities interested in creative Web development, game design, and the good food movement.
Who is this for?
Visual artists who want to present their work online, network with others and establish an online presence.
What you'll need
A laptop computer that can connected to a WiFi network. (If you don’t have one, contact us and we’ll arrange for you to borrow one.)
– Basic working knowledge of computer operation, such as searching for information in Google and filling out online order forms; and a working e-mail account.
– Basic image manipulation (such as cropping and resizing) experience in Photoshop or other image editor will come in handy but is not required.
– Some images of your work, preferably already in digital form on your computer.
What you'll learn & do
– Develop a plan to select a domain and hosting option.
– Explore various publishing tools, online resources.
– Develop content for your online portfolio, including search engine optimization hints, positioning your work and more.
– Develop a strategy for using social media tools for self-promotion.